- This event has passed.
AIA Colorado Revitalizing Main Street
July 28 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
The Colorado Main Street Program offers support for community-led downtown revitalization. Architects can fill a crucial role in its success.
ABOUT THIS EVENT
In this AIA Colorado webinar, we’ll discuss how the Colorado Main Street Program offers support for community-led downtown revitalization. Main Street Architect Larry Lucas, AIA, will review the program and discuss how architects can fill a crucial role in the success of main street projects. The Colorado Department of Local Affairs (DOLA) Main Street Program helps communities thrive by providing a customizable framework to focus efforts, energy, and resources to create a more vibrant community. Lucas will introduce proven revitalization strategies and needed organizations to help communities identify and leverage opportunities and resources. By focusing on current community strengths and assets, the Colorado Main Street Program is a catalyst to move you forward one step at a time. Learn how architects can participate and lead main street projects to realize their potential.
In this session, attendees will:
- identify a framework that strengthens community heritage by aligning community assets, volunteers, and support to work toward a common goal;
- learn how good design puts main streets into top physical shape by capitalizing on assets such as historic buildings;
- learn how the Secretary of Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation support sustainable redevelopment while recognizing historic character, integrity, and authenticity;
- identify opportunities to leverage existing resources to best support quality historic preservation design and implementation; and
- identify opportunities for design professionals to integrate innovative and sustainable solutions to main street projects while addressing the safety and wellbeing of residents and visitors.
Colorado Main Street is a Main Street America™ Coordinating Program. As a Main Street America™ Coordinating Program, Colorado Main Street helps to lead a powerful, grassroots network of over 40 Coordinating Programs and over 1,200 neighborhoods and communities across the country committed to creating high-quality places and to building stronger communities through preservation-based economic development. The Colorado Main Street program is supported in part by a History Colorado State Historical Fund grant.
Presenter: Larry Lucas, AIA, Main Street Architect
Larry Lucas, AIA, is a licensed architect, historic preservationist, and certified passive house consultant (CPHC®). He currently serves as the Main Street Architect for the Colorado Main Street Program. With over 10 years of experience working with Main Street property owners and grass-roots community groups, he has a unique insight into community-wide sustainable development. Under the surface, there is a greener paradigm in your community waiting to be discovered. Larry works to empower architects, communities, and individuals to build greener places that foster health, community, and legacy.
(Wednesday) 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
- AIA Colorado