- This event has passed.
Stockman Bank Missoula: The Design Process and Strategies used to Achieve LEED Platinum v4 Core & Shell
July 8 @ 11:45 am - 12:45 pm
At the time of certification (2019), Stockman Bank Downtown Missoula was one of only five buildings in the world to receive LEED v4 Core and Shell Platinum. This presentation reviews the project design process from inception to certification and focuses on the sustainable strategies used to achieve this certification. The six-story, 68,000-square-foot building features 70% recycled material in its steel construction, a cutting-edge heating and cooling system, a rooftop garden, a rainwater harvesting system that supplies toilet flushing and irrigation, and 150 solar panels that supply 11% of the building’s energy. The goal for the project was to be the “greenest” new commercial building in Montana. Mike Tuss, the lead Design Architect and a keystone of sustainable design in Montana, will tell the story of how that goal came about, the multi-discipline design strategies used to achieve this goal, and the hurdles and construction challenges navigated to achieve its LEED Platinum certification.
This event has been submitted for 1 GBCI LEED-specific BD+C CE hour and qualifies for 1 AIA learning unit.
- Define an effective integrated Sustainable Design Process through goal setting with the focus on the long-term building life cycle.
- Demonstrate design decisions focusing on life cycle costs, reduced building volume using chilled beams and an open-loop ground-source heat pump system, envelope detailing, air infiltration results, and other sustainable strategies.
- Identify how building designers can better use rainwater and stormwater in our buildings, as well as what barriers (AHJs, outdated codes) need to be tackled to implement these design goals.
- Gain knowledge from lessons learned on a LEED v4 BD+C Platinum Project with a focus on project experience using the LEED v4 program.
- Michael A. Tuss, AIA, LEED AP BD+C / Design Architect, Past Principal, Past Director of Sustainability, Cushing Terrell
- Tyler Mortenson, AIA, LEED AP BD+C / Architect, Cushing Terrell
- July 8
11:45 am - 12:45 pm
- Event Categories:
- USGBC Colorado, Webinar