The Neenan Company Completes Four Health Care Projects Throughout Western U.S.
The Neenan Company, a fully integrated design-build firm based in Fort Collins, closed out 2022 with the completion of four health care projects across the western U.S., and plans to deliver another two in the first half of 2023. The health care projects include a mix of community health centers (CHCs), rural health clinics and a specialty eye care clinic, demonstrating Neenan’s commitment to helping clients elevate the health care experience and strengthen their communities.
With the health care environment facing large-scale and unprecedented changes throughout recent years – from COVID-19 protocols to a shifting economy, labor shortages, changing reimbursement methods and more – the projects all feature flexible designs that enable medical providers to remain nimble.
“We are in the business of strengthening communities. We strive to create proactive and uplifting health care spaces throughout the country. We aim to future-proof our clients’ medical facilities so they can continually adapt as the market and industry evolve,” said Neenan health care designers Whitney Churchill, Joe Ashcraft and Sarah Jenk. “The impact of our design-build model is evident when working with many of our rural, CHC or specialty care clients. For CHCs, location is particularly critical given their work with uninsured or underinsured patients who may lack access to reliable transportation. By seeing the comprehensive view of a project upfront, we’re often able to empower CHCs to own their facilities rather than face the uncertainty and disruption of leasing. Not only does this help our clients save time and money, but it provides their patients with greater access and care.”
The six projects deliver more than 170,000 square feet of cutting-edge medical facilities, adding to Neenan’s track record of designing and building more than 200 health care projects.The projects include:
- Deer Lodge Clinic: Located in Deer Lodge, Montana, Neenan updated the 45,000-square-foot community hospital to support an expansion to its care programs. Neenan originally designed and built the medical center in 2011, and with this recent project remodeled 2,000 square feet of the existing space and added 3,200 square feet. With the new facility, the community hospital has expanded its care programs to add cardiac rehab, respiratory therapy and infusion services, and also enhanced the administrative space.
Neenan also delivered a 6,700-square-foot building with staff housing and conference center capabilities. The rural community hospital is now able to accommodate visiting or new employees with lodging, bolstering recruitment and staffing efforts. The multi-phase project completed in July 2022.
- Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinic – West Valley Family Health & OB/GYN: The 29,900-square-foot CHC located in Yakima, Washington completed in October. Aligned with the national effort to improve the health outcomes of rural women and their babies, the health center delivers a ‘whole family’ approach to medicine by specializing in OB/GYN care and also providing primary care, pharmacy and laboratory services.
- El Dorado Community Health Centers: Neenan delivered EDCHC’s new Placerville, California location in November 2022. The 30,600-square-foot facility – owned and operated by EDCHC – replaces two former clinics to deliver comprehensive health care needs in a central and accessible location. The project doubled the care team’s capacity to treat patients, with the new clinic providing primary care, dental, optical, pharmacy, lab services, behavioral health and addiction treatment.
- EyeHealth Northwest: Neenan has remodeled a 5,000-square-foot eye care clinic in Tigard, Oregon. EyeHealth Northwest, one of the largest doctor-owned eye care clinics in the nation, is expanding its Tigard office with an added operating room and enhanced administrative and employee spaces. The additional operating room enables the eye care provider to treat significantly more patients and add new procedures. The tenant build-out project recently completed this winter.
- Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinic – The Rosewood Clinic: Marking Neenan’s fourth project with Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinic, the design-build team is underway with a 35,000-square-foot clinic located in Portland, Oregon. Replacing YVFWC’s former Rosewood Family Health Center, the CHC is expanding patient care with a modern clinic space that is three times larger. The new location, anticipated for completion in spring 2023, will provide family medicine, dental and pharmacy services while revitalizing the former derelict urban site.
- Bitterroot Health: The rural health care provider is expanding its footprint within Ravalli County with the addition of a 20,275-square-foot clinic in Stevensville, Montana, planned for completion by mid 2023. The new clinic will include comprehensive imaging services – from CT and DEXA scans to ultrasound and mammography screenings – ambulance bay/services, urgent care and physical therapy services featuring a hydrotherapy pool. The project will also include administrative and conference space.
Neenan will be breaking ground on another Bitterroot Health clinic location in Darby, Montana in spring 2023, with more locations to come to provide greater accessibility for the community alongside the flagship critical access hospital in Hamilton, Montana. Neenan serves as the design-build partner for the projects, working alongside local contractors and subcontractors.