Boulder, CO – West Elm announced today the opening of its first Boulder location at Twenty Ninth Street, the city’s premier outdoor shopping district just east of downtown. The 11,000 square-foot retail location opens on Thursday, October 27 at 10 a.m. bringing approximately 30 jobs to the neighborhood. As part of West Elm’s LOCAL program, 10 Colorado-based makers and designers will sell their products with the store’s holiday assortment of modern furnishings and décor. A complimentary design lab offering West Elm’s Style + Services will support customers in their journey to express their personal style at home.
“We are excited to make a new home in Boulder, a city with such progressive community consciousness,” said West Elm president Jim Brett. “As a company, we are guided by many of the same principles, and look forward to sharing work from the Colorado-based makers in our LOCAL program as well as the global artisans who are part of our Impact Sourcing Initiative, designed to support Fair Trade Production and educational opportunities.”
West Elm’s Boulder store reflects the great outdoors with custom installations of reclaimed wood. As a backdrop to the cash wrap station, a pointillism-inspired collage includes cedar, Douglas fir, and white pine end-grain blocks, a cutting technique that reveals the tree’s growth rings, and the store’s loft ceiling design features an interlocking pattern of redwood salvaged from antique fence posts.
A selection of locally made products by 10 Colorado-based makers and artisans is part of the West Elm Boulder LOCAL assortment including:
- AWK Clayworks: One of a kind clay cutting boards and vases handmade in Boulder.
- Colorado Woodcraft: Colorado-inspired wooden wall décor made with salvage wood in Golden.
- Counter Couture: Eco-friendly hand printed tea towels designed in Denver.
- Jessica Magee: Organic abstract prints inspired by nature and painted by a young Denver artist.
- Kelsey M Designs: Colorful watercolor prints from a Denver-based artist and interior designer.
- Paper Plates Press: Handmade letterpress coasters made in Denver.
- Urban Bird and Co.: Whimsical and inspiring banners hand screen printed in Denver.
- Verbena Skin Care: Small-batch organic soaps and lip balms handcrafted in Boulder.
- Violet Press: Colorado inspired prints and cards created on a vintage letterpress in Broomfield.
- Vital Industries: Hand screen printed pint glasses with a bicycle theme made in Denver.
Images courtesy of West Elm