ACEC Colorado Announces 2020 Engineering Excellence Award Winners
The American Council of Engineering Companies of Colorado (ACEC Colorado) honored 21 Colorado consulting engineering firms’ design and research projects during its Engineering Excellence Awards (EEA) Luncheon on Nov. 4 at Halcyon, a hotel in Cherry Creek.
The ACEC Colorado EEA program annually recognizes consulting engineering firms for projects that demonstrate an exceptional degree of innovation, complexity, achievement and value. More than 165 guests from the engineering industry attended the luncheon.
The Grand Conceptor Award, representing the highest honor, was awarded to Merrick and Company for the South Platte River Run Park project (Sheridan). The engineering design of this river park helped to achieve the overcoming of low flow conditions and received U.S. Army Corps of Engineers approval to build a river park within a congressionally authorized flood control project.
The competition’s next highest honor, Excellence Awards, were presented to:
- Atkins and Pinyon Environmental for Ilex to First Street Design-build (Pueblo),
- CP&Y for Academy Boulevard Over Cottonwood Creek Bridge Replacement & Trail Connection (Colorado Springs),
- EST for Sheridan Bond Improvements Program (Sheridan),
- HDR for Betasso Water Treatment Plant (Boulder),
- ME Engineers for Allianz Field (St. Paul, Minn.),
- Muller Engineering Company for Colorado Horizontal Collector Well (Hudson), and
- TST Infrastructure for 8.0 MGD Water Treatment Plan (Littleton).
Next, Honor Awards were presented to these consulting engineering firms:
- Engineering Analytics for St. Vrain Creek Reach 3 Restoration (Boulder County),
- Felsburg Holt & Ullevig for Weld County Road 49 Design Services (Greeley),
- HDR for Mobility Choice Blueprint (Denver),
- Merrick & Company for Mitigating Economic and Personal Tragedy From Future Floods (Eastern & Central Colorado),
- Plummer for Elbert Creek Water Company Water Treatment Plant Improvements (Durango),
- Ulteig for Fall River Road Bridge (Clear Creek County),
Merit Awards were presented to:
- AECOM for State Highway 60 and State Highway 257 Bridges Over Little Thompson River (Milliken),
- Ayres Associates for Economic Value Toolkit Branding Pickaxe (Colorado),
- Engineering Analytics for Stabilization of Relic Landslide in Colorado (Silverthorne),
- Farnsworth Group for Wastewater Treatment Plant (La Junta),
- HDR for Regional Wasteshed Planning Study (Fort Collins),
- Summit Engineering Services for Holt South Central Processing Facility (Mildland, Texas),
- The RMH Group for St. Francis Medical Center Expansion (Colorado Springs).
CP&Y was also honored with the 2020 Outstanding Project Award for its project board design of the Academy Boulevard Over Cottonwood Creek Bridge Replacement & Trail Connection.
The ACEC Colorado EEA program closely follows entry guidelines established by the ACEC National EEA competition, which invites recipients of Colorado’s Grand Conceptor and Excellence Awards to enter. For more than 50 years, Colorado firms have entered their most innovative design and research projects into the ACEC Colorado EEA competition. A video about each project is viewable on ACEC Colorado’s YouTube Channel at bit.ly/2020_EEA-CO_Videos, and the award-winning project boards will be displayed in the ACEC Colorado Training Room through October 2020.