Event Round-Up: AGC Breakfast with the Board & GC Showcase
By: Julie Wanzer, LEED AP
Denver, CO – The Associated General Contractors of Colorado (AGC) hosted their Breakfast with the Board and GC Showcase on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at the Denver Marriott City Center. A crowd of over 500 people filled the lower-level Colorado Ballroom that contained booths from 22 AGC general contractors along the perimeter with several round-tables filling the interior.
The breakfast meeting provided a “one-stop shop” venue for networking with the following general contractors:
- Adolfson & Peterson Construction
- Calcon Constructors, Inc.
- Fransen Pittman General Contractors
- GE Johnson Construction Company
- GH Phipps Construction Companies
- Golden Triangle Construction, Inc.
- Haselden Construction, LLC
- Hensel Phelps
- Howell Construction
- Hyder Construction, Inc.
- JE Dunn Construction
- JHL Constructors, Inc.
- McCarthy Building Companies
- Mortenson Construction
- PCL Construction
- Saunders Construction, Inc.
- Swinerton Builders
- The Beck Group
- The Weitz Company, LLC
- Turner Construction Company
- W.E. O’Neil Construction Co. of Colorado
The program also included a “Blue Book Breakdown” from AGC’s President and CEO, Michael Gifford, on several amendments and propositions that could influence the construction and design industry. He recommended voting “No” on Amendments #40, 63, and 75.
Key players involved with the National Western Center project also presented updates on the 240-acre project, including insights on the several upcoming RFP’s for building and infrastructure projects. The speakers included:
- Kelly Leid, Executive Director, Office of the National Western Center
- Paul Andrews, President and CEO, National Western Stock Show
- Jocelyn Hittle, Director, Denver Program Development, Colorado State University
Highlights from the National Western Center presentation include:
- New building elements for livestock show, horse show, and Rodeo & Expo Hall updates to enhance customer experience
- Ability to grow the Stock Show by 30%
- Growth of economic impact of the show is projected to impact more than $110 Million with more than 1 million attendees at the show each year
The event also set the stage for a live press conference that included the Lt. Governor, Donna Lynne, who launched the “Construction Careers Now” program with several advocates on stage. Additional speakers supporting the program included State Representative for House District 4, Dan Pabon, State Representative for House District 7 Angela Williams, and Majority Leader, State Representative District 5 Crisanta Duran. Registration for this 4-week construction careers training program opens August 3rd on BuildColorado.com
[Editor’s Note: The Construction Careers Now program was covered by several media outlets including:]
Photos courtesy of The Unfound Door