NAIOP Announces 2020 Awards of Achievement
Following a year of unprecedented challenges caused by the pandemic, the Colorado Chapter of NAIOP hosted the 34th Annual Awards of Achievement virtual celebration to honor the “Best of the Best” in Colorado’s Real Estate Industry. This year’s event was hosted by NAIOP 2021 Chapter President Tyler Carlson, managing principal of Evergreen Devco, Inc.
“It goes without saying that 2020 was a year that most of us would like to forget. However, during this most challenging year NAIOP members still made it happen despite many obstacles. So it’s only appropriate that we celebrate these accomplishments,” said Carlson.
2020 Broker and Capital Markets Award Honorees
- Capital Markets Transaction of the Year
- XD2 Construction Financing – JLL Capital Markets Team of Eric Tupler, Josh Simon, Will Haas and Christopher Peck
- Industrial Broker of the Year
- Jim Bolt, CBRE (Individual)
- Tyler Carner and Jeremy Ballenger, CBRE (Team)
- Investment Broker of the Year
- Tim Richey, Jenny Knowlton, Charley Will and Chad Flynn, CBRE
- Land Broker of the Year
- Chris Cowan, Newmark
- Multi-Family Broker of the Year
- Shane Ozment and Terrance Hunt, Newmark
- Office Broker of the Year
- Todd Wheeler, Cushman & Wakefield (Individual)
- Doug Bakke, Ty Ritchie, Todd Papazian, Lee Diamond and Melanie Fontenot, CBRE (Team)
- Retail Broker of the Year
- Jon Weisiger, CBRE
2020 Development Award Honorees
- Deal of the Year – 9+CO View Project Video
- Developed by Continuum Partners; Owned by Continuum Partners and CIM Group
- Office Development of the Year – 6900 Layton View Project Video
- Developed by Prime West; Owned by Prime West and Partners Group
- Community Impact Award – Vida at Sloan’s Lake View Project Video
- Developed and owned by Denver Housing Authority
- Industrial Development of the Year – TruStile Doors’ Headquarters View Project Video
- Developed by EFG-Denver, LLC and Owned by TruStile Doors, a Marvin Windows Brand
- Innovative Development of the Year – Lakehouse View Project Video
- Developed and owned by NAVA Real Estate Development
- Multi-Family Development of the Year – Parc Mosaic Apartment Homes View Project Video
- Developed and owned by Aimco, Air Communities; Designed by Tryba Architects
- Retail Development of the Year – Junction Food & Drink View Project Video
- Developed by Lincoln Property Company; Owned by ASB Real Estate Investments and Lincoln Property Company
Awards of Distinction
President’s Award for Community Service – Susan E. Stanton, Posthumously
An incredibly talented and passionate leader in metro Denver’s real estate and economic community for more than 25 years, Susan Stanton brought together people with ideas, resources, and opportunities. Susan was posthumously honored as the 2020 President’s Award recipient in recognition of her outstanding contributions to the CRE industry and greater community. Susan’s friends, family and peers celebrated her accomplishments and enduring legacy with a moving tribute video. Watch Now. Please consider making a donation in Susan’s memory to the Susan Stanton Memorial Fund.
Legacy Broker Award – Mike Winn
Mike Winn is the personification of the Legacy Broker Award. With over 35 years of investment sales experience, Mike was a key member of the Winn-Richey team that executed more than $21 billion in transactions and brokered the sale of many of Denver’s high-profile assets. Icons of the CRE industry, Mike, and his business partner Tim Richey, were NAIOP Investment Broker of Year honorees a record 14-times from 1997 to 2019 and received the Broker Outstanding Achievement Award in 2012. Throughout his career, Mike impacted the lives and careers of numerous individuals through tireless devotion of time, energy, and talent. Mike’s former team and long-time partners Tim Richey, Chad Flynn, Jenny Knowlton and Charley Will, shared insights to significant role Mike played in their careers and how he continues to serve as a role model for others. Watch Now.
Sherman R. Miller Trailblazer Award – Whitney Hake, Transwestern
As this year’s winner of the Trailblazer Award, Whitney Hake pushed the boundaries of tradition and caused a paradigm shift in the way commercial real estate is sold by developing a business model focused heavily on unprecedented marketing tactics. Leaving a secure position with Cushman & Wakefield to form her own team at age 31, Whitney joined Transwestern in 2018 and assembled a group of professionals from varying backgrounds with a shared vision of becoming THE prominent leasing team in Denver. By deploying creative, strategic initiatives and harnessing new technologies, Whitney and the Hake Woodward team has delivered extraordinary leasing results to office owners throughout Denver and currently represents a portfolio of over 5 million square feet.
Award of Excellence – Tim Schlichting, Prime West
The Award of Excellence is a tribute to the outgoing NAIOP Colorado President, Tim Schlichting, and is a heartfelt thank you for his time and effort spent on behalf of the organization. In 2020, the COVID-19 pandemic created unprecedented challenges for the organization. Tim helped the Chapter weather the crisis by remaining calm and optimistic. He dared his fellow leaders to embrace the change, helping to create innovative and successful virtual programs. He is a driving force behind increasing the Chapter’s focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion. Helping to identify initiatives and put leaders in place to advance the Chapter’s mission to attract and inspire diverse individuals within the industry. Tim was also instrumental in keeping the Chapter on solid financial footing for the year by leading fundraising efforts and collaborating with our critical sponsor partners. Thank you Tim!
NAIOP Member of the Year – Brian Dietz, Prologis
A graduate of the Chapter’s Mentor Program in 2009, Brian has come full circle and now provides mentorship for the future leaders of our industry. Encouraging young professionals to “work hard, be humble, and stay open to new experiences.” As Chair of the Programs Committee in 2020, he proved adept at embracing the transformation of events to a virtual format and helped create new innovative programming such as the highly successful Property Tour and Case Study series, and “Mind the Development Gap” sessions. By leading these efforts, he helped the Chapter remain a critical resource for our members during a difficult time.
NAIOP Developing Leader Member of the Year – Joe Swensson, Opus Development Company, LLC
A NAIOP member since 2015, Joe has been a fixture on the DL Committee helping with the Mentor Program and various events. A former competitive skier, he was uniquely paired to organize the DL’s highly popular Skiing with the Icons for the last 4 years. “Admired for his keen ability to identify great land sites for development and his ability to bring those projects to reality,” our honoree has a “bright future in Denver’s commercial real estate industry,” according to Sean Cummings, VP of Real Estate Development at Opus. Congrats Joe!